On March 19, Mr. Drew Miller met with members of Maroon SHRM to discuss valuable human resource topics and respond to student concerns. Miller, a HR Director at Tempur Sealy, provided multiple, real-world applications of various human resource topics based on his experience as an labor attorney and human resource professional. Miller discussed his “10 Jagged Rocks of Wisdom.”
- Review and understand company policies
- It is not "them" and "us". You are "them" and we are "us"
- Understand practical versus legal confidentiality
- Be consistent
- Create a record when a problem exists - documentation
- “Interwebs”- Computers, and contents belong to the company
- Know the difference between welcomed and unwelcomed harassment
- Know your acronyms- FMLA and ADA
- If you think you need to call HR, call HR
- Don't be a problem.
After the informative and entertaining formal presentation Mr. Miller answered questions from the dozen or so members of the Maroon SHRM group.
Maroon SHRM’s next meeting will be Tuesday, April 2nd at 5:00 in BTC 202. Shelly Trent, working at Next Step Network in Louisville will be joining our group discussing using LinkedIn to Network for a Job. She was recommended by professional colleagues with Bluegrass SHRM in Lexington. The Maroon chapter of the Society of Human Resource Management meets every other Tuesday and is open to all students interested in the field. For more information, contact the faculty advisor, Professor Allen Engle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top row, L-R: Jessica Ralston, Drew Miller, Alexis O'Bannon, Allyssa Morrison, Kaitlyn Riley, Brittany Royalty, Chris Caswell, Jake Vandermosten
Bottom row, L-R: Jackie Buis, Cayley Blevins, Abby Sanders, Andrea Tyra